There are a number of pathways you can explore to apply for a postgraduate research degree at Murdoch.
To apply for a postgraduate research degree, you need to provide evidence of your academic or professional accomplishments. This evidence needs to show you have the level of research experience and skills to carry out your proposed research project.
Your qualifications and eligibility
The minimum requirements vary for each course, but are likely to include one or more of these:
- An honours qualification – You’ve completed a Bachelor's degree with first class honours or upper second class honours from Murdoch or its equivalent at another University.
- A postgraduate coursework qualification – You’ve completed other postgraduate qualifications which have involved a substantial research project, such as a Masters by Research degree.
- Other qualifications or work experience – In some cases, it may be enough to provide evidence of your professional work experience conducting research projects. If you’ve led large projects, presented at conferences, published of research outcomes or implemented organisational change, these might demonstrate your ability to fulfil the entry requirements.
Explore our range of research degrees for the eligibility criteria you need to meet.
Applying as an international student
If you’re applying for a postgraduate research degree as an international students, you will need to meet some extra requirements in order to apply.
1. Submit an Expression of Interest form
Please note, this form is not an application form. It simply outlines your area of research interest, academic qualifications and research experience. The information is used by our Graduate Research Office to assess whether you are eligible to apply.
Please make sure you download and complete a local copy of the form by right-clicking and saving a copy to your computer. Please do not use your browser or the Preview app on macOS to fill out and save the PDF.
Once you have downloaded and completed the form, please email it to our Graduate Research Office, or post it to the following address:
The Manager, Graduate Research
Environmental Science Building Rm 2.058
South Street, Murdoch
Western Australia 6150
We’ll let you know we have your form within 48 hours of receiving it. The response time to your Expression of Interest (EOI) form can vary, as several departments will need to consult. If your Expression of Interest is successful, we will invited you to submit a formal application.
2. Provide evidence of your English language proficiency
To show your proficiency in English, you’ll need:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) - Internet-based - Minimum score of 90 with no band less than 20.
If you are an international student and have questions about your eligibility, please contact our Graduate Research Office.